Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Catching Up: April 1-April 8... The Monuments

Saturday we took the girls and Joe down to D.C. for a White House tour and anything else we could squeeze in. Let me tell you, it was a day of walking! While the National Mall (no this is not a store) may seem small on the map, it is HUGE. The White House tour was very interesting and I recommend it to any that can get tickets (via your state congress person). It's not long and it's self guided, but a great opportunity to see the place where our presidents have resided and hosted dignitaries for centuries. I appreciated that the while the president is allowed to redecorate the family space, he has NO SAY in what happens on the main floor. Based on some of the china choices I am SO GLAD certain First Ladies were denied the opportunity to add their "personal touch" to the more historic parts of the home. And speaking of china... does anyone else find it completely retarded that each first lady gets to order a brand new set of full service china for the four years her husband is in office? I know it's pocket change compared to the rest of the government's budget, but the stupidity has to stop somewhere! The president makes 400K per year... let him pay for the damn china! Ranting over. Unfortunately no cameras are allowed inside so no pics of the white house tour.

After the White House we decided to see all the major monuments. It was insane, not only for the length of the walk, but because it was also the Cherry Blossom Festival which made the sidewalks and streets more crammed than Disney Land in July. Nightmare! Beautiful... but nightmare. Eventually we made it all around the monument side of the mall and were able to see the Washington, Jefferson, FDR and Lincoln monuments. And while the W, J and L monuments might be the most famous and recognized, I must say I fell in love with FDR, especially in the spring. It was more like a marble garden than the "god-like" monuments of the rest. It sprawls next to the Tidal basin and is full of the cherry blossom trees and running waterfalls. Breathtaking. (But alas, no pics...I don't know WHAT I was thinking!)

But here's what I do have...

Hanna and I by the Washington monument.

Joe and I at the Jefferson monument.

A great shot of the FDR monument (courtesy of Hanna)!

Joe at the Lincoln monument.

I hope you know this one.


Do we look tired? Because we ARE! All that walking... all those crowds... by the time we saw Lincoln I was ready to be home, hehe.

1 comment:

KatieLarson said...

FDR is my favorite too! I especially like that it is right on the water and you can walk around the water. Brian, Ann and I walked around it at night and it was amazing!