Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Catching Up: April 1-April 8... Baltimore

So I arrived home from Utah on March 30 and had a day to prep my house for visitors on April 1. My awesome friends, Tina and Hanna S., came to visit me during Hanna's spring break. They kept me hopping, but it was WONDERFUL. I love visitors (especially these two) because it forces me to get out and see all the sites around me.

They arrived late on Thursday so we slept in a bit on Friday and then journeyed out to Baltimore-Inner Harbor. We visited the Visionary Art Museum and strolled around the harbor, including Fells Point. The Water Taxi was a great way to get around and allowed us to see more of the harbor than one can from the shore. All in all, it was a fantastic day! And I was smart enough to wear some sunscreen so I didn't get too badly burned, yippee!

Some pics of the are museum...
Hanna at the entrance.

Ridin' along in our automobile.

Ginormous chess set. I think it was supposed to be angles and demons as the silver set is adorned with halos. Above this is a triptych of the creation as found in genesis (sorry... pics didn't turn out of that one).

There was TONS to see inside, all done by untrained artists using non-standard materials (like paint buckets, toothpicks, etc). I wouldn't say this museum is for everyone, but for lovers of unique and sometimes crazy art, this is definitely a stop for you.

Fells point is ADORABLE! Lots of old town buildings with boutiques and bars. Hanna lost her "formal wear virginity" here. Meaning this was the first time she had ever tried on fancy dresses before. It was fun (and funny... the girl kept blushing, hehe). Glad I could be there for her "first time"... wait... does that sound creepy?

A wonderful day trip for any interested in seeing Baltimore (which DOES have tons to offer despite... or in spite... not sure which.... of it's better known neighbor, Washington D.C.).

1 comment:

KatieLarson said...

Sadly I have not experienced the beauty of Baltimore. I have seen the Charm City Cakes building, but nothing else. On our next trip, that's what we keep saying, on our next trip.