Thursday, November 26, 2009

Our First Turkey Day...

By ourselves, anyway. This is the first time in over a decade that I haven't been near extended family for Thanksgiving. Weird. So we decided to try some different things. I believe this is the first ever Turkey Bowl that I have attended with Joe in the history of our relationship. (I don't even remember him going to one, but he thinks he has). Anyway, it was so much FUN! Joe played with the other members of the ward Elder's Quorum while I cheered him on from the side lines. I must be getting old not to want to play, but I seriously didn't. While we didn't have snow out here, the ground was saturated with moisture from a rainy week and a misty morning. Seriously, like walking on a sponge, so I was content to chat and cheer. Only two other wives showed up, but we had a great time! I sure do LOVE the women in my ward. SWEETHEARTS. Like we've been friends forever. The game was over all too soon (too many wet, sweaty guys complaining they were tired after only 2 hours of playing) and we headed home for a much needed nap.

By the time I woke up (late afternoon) I decided it was too late to begin any serious cooking. I figured I'd let this first holiday slip away into oblivion as if it were just another day. But by 4p I changed my mind. Joe wouldn't have cared, but I didn't want our first Thanksgiving in Maryland to be a dud. So this was my evening...

410p Run to store for much needed dinner supplies
430p Set yeast to raise
445p Turkey into the roaster
450p Finish off homemade bread dough and leave to raise; pull out frozen pie shell to thaw
6p Check Turkey (burned my nasal cavatiy by inhaling a ball of steam... leave it to me to find the stupidest way to hurt myself while cooking)
610p Dough raised 2hrs early... I think my kitchen was REALLY warm, so tore it into sections and readied for baking; Joe started on potatoes
630p Rotated bread in oven and began making pumpkin pie
650p Set Joe to drain and mash potatoes while I tended to the homemade bread
7p Turky finished (gotta LOVE roasting ovens); finished up potatoes and served up Turkey dinner; slipped pumpkin pie into oven
8p Pie finally finished, removed and let stand

And by that time I couldn't believe it! We had actually pulled off a Thanksgiving meal complete with turkey, mashed potatoes, homemade bread and pumpkin pie! It was fun and we laughed our way through the hectic kitchen schedule (except for when I cried after inhaling all that steam... I don't recommend trying it). I am grateful for a husband who supports all my hair-brained schemes. Though we didn't get a single picture, it will always be a Thanksgiving worth remembering!

3 comments:

Betsy said...

Good for you, our first away from family was fake everything, exept the turkey. We had boxed potatoes, boxed stuffing, rolls from the store, gravy from a mix, and pies bought from village inn. It was still very tasty. I am impressed you did it the hard way with such little time!!
I am the same way about competing anymore, I would rather be watching and cheering on. Maybe that's because we won the biggest competition of all for the best husbands ever!!

KatieLarson said...

Way to go girl! I used my new roasting pan this year for my first bird roasting...I love it!

Nic said...

I love it! You sound just like me, always changing my mind cause I am afraid I will regret something. It was all worth it I'm sure and even more special that you did it. Hey, you even were eating at a decent hour. Sounds perfect to me!