Thursday, November 5, 2009

Halloween in D.C.

Saturday we had the chance to visit Washington D.C. with some new friends from our ward. It was a blast! They showed us the ropes of downtown site seeing. We rode the metro to town, which was awesome! I love that it's easy and there's no traffic. When we arrived I saw all these signs for "the mall." Imagine my surprise when the mall turned out to be this huge stretch of land from Capitol Hill to the Washington Monument.



This is a pic of Joe with Annie & Matt (our guides and life savers!) on the mall. Annie even packed us water and lunch for the day (with some killer homemade bread). She knew we were total tourists! I'm so grateful to her foresight. It made the trip super cheap and loads of fun!

Our first (& major) stop of the day was the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum. Joe was a kid in a candy store! There were a ton of great exhibits. I think the Wright Brothers were crazy! But thanks to them and the forward thinkers following, we have the technology we do today. We also enjoyed the many war exhibits dedicated to those who have fought for our country. Fascinating! (More than I thought it would be!)









The Air and Space museum took up most of the day. It's nice when you know you can come back anytime. We weren't rushed to pack in a million museums at once. So after the fabulous lunch (care of Annie) we decided to head over to the archives for a glimpse of the Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Constitution.


This is Joe infront of the Archives building.


The only other picture I took inside (as "no flash" meant really horrible pictures) was a wall plaque of the Rosa Parks arrest paperwork and a diagram that was used in her hearing. I actually had never heard of Rosa Parks until I met Katie Armga Larsen. Thanks girl, for setting me straight on some important U.S. History!

We decided to end the day with a quick visit to the White House. On the way we found this cute little nook in the EPA building. I couldn't pass it up!


Finally! Our last stop of the day. Our feet were so tired!



We look forward to MANY more trips to D.C. It is awesome and a little sureal having our nation's capital so close. Next time Joe promised a whole day at the Art Gallery because I was such a good girl at the Air and Space Museum. Woot!

The only thing missing that day were all the costumes. I didn't see a single trick o' treater until on our way home. All in all, it was happy Halloween!

6 comments:

Ann said...

The Air and Space Museum is a fun place to visit. DC was a blast and I am glad you are getting to see the sights. I know how disappointed you were that you couldn't come with us. Keep posting I am enjoying reliving our trip through your pictures.

KatieLarson said...

I miss it already. I want to go back right now. I am so jealous that you are so close you can virtually go any time...wait I just had a thought. Christmas is DC or Fourth of July in DC! Wow! Even more jealous.

Marla B said...

I hate you! I am jealous! I wanna go there!! Gosh-i better get a trip planned out there!
have fun. rub it in-all the fun out there!

Naomi said...

I'm so glad you guys took the chance to go. We've been there quite a few times and we absolutely love DC. Make sure to go on the 4th of July because the fireworks DO NOT disappoint. If your hubby loves the Air and Space Museum you guys should head out to the one in Chantilly, Virginia. It's huge! Oh, I'm so glad you guys are enjoying yourselves over there!

Michael and Brenda Smith said...

That brings back memories of my trip to D.C. My mom and bro found out about the "mall" before I went out...it was kinda funny. I thought the monument walk was super cool and you see so many places that are in movies you watch all the time which is neat...and all the history. My personal fav was the Holocaust Museum. I've always been facinated with the Holocaust and it was very interesting but sad to learn even more and feel the strong spirit within the walls of that building.

Darcysmad said...

I'm so glad you guys are having so much fun! It looks like an exciting adventure and you have to make sure you post lots of pics so we can live vicariously through you! Love ya hon!