Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy Independence Day!

1 year B.J. (before Joe) I had the chance to visit Mexico City, Mexico. I took a couple of friends, one who could speak Spanish. I LOVED the city. The architecture was amazing! And I loved being immersed in the culture. However, I was never so excited to get back home to the states for three reasons. 1- Language barrier. I felt almost trapped because I couldn't communicate with anyone without the help of my friend. It was stifling. 2-Soap. I thought everyone believed in soap! But every restroom I used was devoid of anything functioning as a cleaning agent. I carried my own but, honestly, what was the rest of the population using! Ewwww! 3- Most importantly, freedoms and safety which are the result of our laws. I felt my vulnerability acutely in Mexico City. From my extensive research before I left I knew that I couldn't trust the local police if I got in trouble. Many, according to multiple sources, are bought and paid for. You have to be careful who you trust. And, as a complete outsider, I had no idea who I could trust. I learned gratitude for simple things like traffic laws. While Mexico City may have lanes painted on the roads and stop lights to direct traffic, no one pays attention to them. You literally take your life in your hands just getting on the road. And a blinker? Who uses a blinker? You just put your hand out the window and tell the car next to you to stop so you can cut them off. A one or two lane road become a 4 lane freeway in Mexico. Insane! And in Mexico as a woman, I was more a piece of meat than a citizen. Very little effort is made to protect their women or their little ones. I won't even go into being accosted on the public transportation system. Let's just say I did A LOT of walking after that experience.

I remember getting off the plane in the U.S. on my return. I almost cried. I was so happy to be home. To be in a country where I knew the laws and knew that most people obeyed them. And if they didn't, I knew I could approach almost any police officer for help. I am so grateful that good police officers here are the rule instead of the exception (well... except when they are pulling me over, hehe). And I am grateful for a country that recognizes women equally with men. I think you'll find those individuals in any culture that still believe in hierarchy, whether by race, gender, religious beliefs, wealthy, etc. But in America, our laws (and society in general) place equal value on all people.

I guess what I am trying to say is that America is wonderful in despite of our problems and politics. I am grateful for a country that allows me to seek opportunities, to practice the religion of my choice, that will protect me when I am hurt and will seek justice against my offenders. It's not perfect. I don't think anyplace can be. But I am grateful to live here and now. I love my country. I am grateful for all who have come before to provide this land of freedom. And I celebrate all those men, women, and families who continue to sacrifice for the same great purpose. Happy birthday America. I hope we all remember and celebrate your gifts to us.

3 comments:

Embellished by Brenda said...

AMEN!

Erin said...

I love it! Thanks for sharing:)

Alina said...

I would LOVE to travel the world one day, but some of the things you pointed out are why I fear going somewhere where I can't communicate things. For example, I've gone to China, but it was très amusing trying to speak Chinese XD