Thursday, October 9, 2008

Happy Birthday Grandpa

It was my Grandpa Porter's birthday this week. I have no idea how old he is... only that he is not a day older than my first memory of him. Isn't that funny? It seems to me that people don't age. Gma Porter is still 58, my mother is still in her 40's and by golly there is no way I am more than 24! lol

Anyway, back to Grandpa. He is the most wonderful man I have known. He is soft spoken and has a dangerous sense of humor. Always ready with a joke and very fast on his feet. My favorite memories are of he and I sitting on the white couch (was it vinyl?) in his quaint TV room in San Diego, California. We didn't say much. We didn't need to. I just loved to sit with him and drink in the peace his presence provided. I needed his love and acceptance and he gave both freely. Still does. He was always more than just my Grandpa. He was my grandfather, my father, my confidant, my anchor during my turbulent years, my rock, and my friend. He was and is the man I can always trust... the man I can always turn to... the man I always had when no one else was there.

Dear Grandpapa,

How I love you! I hope you will always hold close the memories of you and I together. Our little chats and our endless cuddles. I hope you loved, as much as I did, the summers I came to stay searching for peace and quiet in the safe harbor of your presence. You saved me, Grandpa. You held me together as I struggled through life without a father. You taught me by example about love, faith, prayer, sacrifice, trust and family. You were the only one I have every felt safe with in the ocean. I know that sounds silly. But I am terrified of the ocean--more specifically the water and the sharks I just know are waiting to eat me. It was interesting, that day at the beach. The first time I had been in the water without feeling terror. The first time I knew I trusted you. And I have never stopped. I didn't know I could trust anyone but myself before that.

Thank you, also, my wonderful Grandpapa, for giving me a way to find happiness in marriage. I didn't think it was possible. Not for me anyway. Wasn't I destined to be single and alone? You promised there was someone special for me. That I was a good person. And now I have Joe! And you know what I have discovered? I ended up marrying a man just like you. And I am SO glad. Thanks for being you and, again, for loving the likes of me. I love you with all of my heart and soul and wish you the happiest of birthdays.

Love always,

Your Little Debbie

1 comment:

Erin said...

That was beautiful Deb! They need the internet at their house or you should print a copy of that for him if you haven't already. He is such a dear man! I am glad he is my Grandpa too now:)