Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Road Trip Day 1: Utah to Chicago


I love the excitement of being on the road. This time was a little different as we knew we were leaving for a new place. We were sad to say good-bye to friends and family, but super excited for the new life awaiting us in Baltimore. The first day we drove Layton to Lincoln, Nebraska. Along the way we stopped to have lunch with Mr. James and Marla. (I was so happy for the chance to see them one more time before leaving). I had intended on driving straight through to Illinois before Joe implemented the "no one sleeps while the driver is awake" policy. Which I totally understood after driving 1.5 hrs while he slept. It is so BORING having to drive without any interaction. Anyway, we decided to stop in Lincoln the first night. I was sure we could find a great room at a great rate, neither turned out to be true. I wish I had pics of our hotel. It was AWFUL!!! I know I'm used to the Marriott treatment (thanks Dad Burns!), but this really was a dive.The front desk guy in a crumpled, stained shirt and sweat pants should have given me my first clue. But we were tired and just wanted to sleep. Our hotel room came complete with peeling wallpaper, too much moisture, and things that go bump in the night. I didn't really sleep as I was sure we would be murdered in our beds! Boy was I happy to be on the road the next day!

1 comment:

KatieLarson said...

On our honeymoon Brian and I had the same experience. A broken toilet! It was totally all taped up. I have a thing with tape, so needless to say, we left that place running in the morning so that I could use the facilities. Glad you survived!