Friday, June 6, 2008

Kids Update

We finally finished all our classes for foster care!!! Wahoo!!! As part of the process, we were required to take 32 hours of training. The classes tried to cover everything from DCFS (Department of Child and Family Services) policy to abuse to grief/loss and more. I can't even begin to describe everything we learned. (In fact, I should probably take the classes again because there is NO way I am going to retain everything we were taught.) I really enjoyed them, though. I feel so lucky to be given such instruction before having kids. I wish these classes were available to all parents... especially those prone to abuse. Anyways, tons to learn. It was difficult, though, learning about the experiences and issues these children face. Heartbreaking. I found myself wondering if I was qualified to do this... could I REALLY help any of these children who come into my home? I still feel so inadequate. But, I suppose, that is okay. I wonder if any parent--whether giving birth or adopting--feels 100% confident in the moment they realize they are truly responsible for another human being. To all parents, I am amazed by you... your courage, your selfless love. But I digress...

As far as the process goes, we're still a few months out before any placement. There are a million and one things we have to do to prep our home for a home study. We also have a couple projects we feel necessary to finish before having any children. Life will become so chaotic after they arrive, it will be best to minimize any stress while we can. I want to make sure our full attention can be given to them instead of worrying about a yard or the basement. I'll keep you posted as we make progress.

No comments: