Monday, May 12, 2008

Kids at last!

At long last Joe and I are going to be parents!!! No, we are not pregnant. No, we are not adopting (at least not yet anyway). Sometimes I think Joe and I like the path of most resistance. Maybe we like a challenge. Or maybe we are just daring others to judge us. Mostly, I think we just follow our hearts.

This time, we have chosen to follow our hearts to foster care. Joe and I have started the process to be a licensed foster home. We are ECSTATIC!!! We finally found an answer to our prayers. And boy has that been an interesting experience! Maybe someday I'll tell you about it. Anyway, to answer the most general questions:

Ages we want to foster: 14-18

Why: We LOVE that age! They are intelligent, opinionated, can converse on an adult level, and, mostly, we feel we can be the most useful to them.

When: 3-5 months depending on the home study, background check, paperwork, and training.

How many: 1-4 as we would like a sibling group

How long: depends on the situation... but we would like to adopt the children if possible

I think that covers most everything. Let me know if you have any other questions. Just know that we are committed to this. We are excited... and nervous. But, mostly, happy.

5 comments:

Naomi said...

Congrats you two! I am so excited for you. I hope all goes well for you in your application process and that it goes quickly for you, unless you need the time to get ready than I hope it takes exactly the time you need to get processed! :)

Again, congratulations you two, I think you will do an amazing job!

Erin said...

I too am excited! I think this will be a wonderful path to grow your family! Congratulations! We love you guys!

Erin said...

Hey there! I tagged you:)

Josh and Bethany said...

Congratulations you guys! I know you two will do a great job. This is Bethany and Josh by the way. We love you guys!

Susan said...

What a wonderful thing to commit to. Not everyone is open to that age, and there is probably a great need. Your new dog will probably be a great icebreaker and connection point with kids as well. We wish you every blessing.

Love, Susan, (Marcheta and Grandmother Belle)