Monday, May 12, 2008

Puppy Love & Humble Pie

I should get used to eating my words. I have done that a lot recently and will probably eat even more through the next few years. I should take the advice "Never say never." I swore I would never have a pet, let alone a large, indoor dog. But, when it's puppy love, how do you say no? I didn't mean for it to happen.

There I was, minding my own business, when he walked in. Gorgeous. Gray eyes like the sky right before a storm. Beautiful stripes, what I now know to be brindle. Shining white markings and a mask. He was so mellow and sweet. I never had any intention of buying him. He was actually meant for someone else. But one look, and I knew he was meant to be mind. I mean, how can you say no to the sad puppy eyes? I called Joe over right away and by the end of the day he was ours. He is a reverse blue brindle American Pit Bull Terrier with white markings and a blue nose. We name him Josser.

Before you jump to fear-crazed conclusions regarding my puppy, please read up on my breed at http://www.adba.cc/ or stop by the house and meet him first. They are actually wonderful family dogs. More pluses that led to the purchase included that he was already crate trained, house broken, socialized with other animals, and was raised with small children in the home. He was 17 weeks old when we first bought him and weighed 42 pounds. Just 4 weeks later, he weighed in at 48 pounds.

We absolutely love our puppy! Even thought it has been a crazy learning experience. Getting up earlier because he is whining. Making sure he gets fed and has potty time. Trying to figure out what he is asking us when all his whines sound the same. There were a few accidents at first. We thought his whine meant he was hungry or thirsty when, in fact,--we found out later--he really needed to go potty. Crazy! But, despite the ups and downs (including chewed shoes or socks, REALLY early mornings, adjusting our schedules, potty accidents, and mauled stuffed animals), I wouldn't change a thing. I love having something else to love (you know... besides Joe). Cuddle time is wonderful and I think Joe loves playtime as well. I think we are both learning a lot.

Mostly, I need to take a sec to eat that humble pie. I'm learning that being a good pet owner is not as easy as it looks and this makes me contemplate parenting in general. To all parents out there, I am sorry for assuming that raising kids is procedural--a simple set of steps. That meal time, bedtime, anytime should function within a defined set of parameters. I am learning--everyday--that parenting requires flexibility, hard work, long hours and more. And, even then, our little ones come with their own personalities... some more stubborn than others. Anyway, it's just a long winded way of saying I was wrong... and I am sorry.

On a lighter note, I'll upload pictures of Josser as soon as I figure out Jon's camera. Hopefully faster than I've uploaded pictures of our home!

1 comment:

Josh and Bethany said...

We are dog people so congrats on the newest member of your family. When Josh and I were struggling to have a baby we got Hurley (an English Bulldog) to baby instead. It seems like, though, no matter what you say everyone hears "bull" anything and gets scared. I don't know how many times I hear, "Aren't you scared that you dog will eat your baby?" And we have a bulldog, the laziest breed in the whole world. I'm sure your puppy is the sweetest ever!!