Saturday, January 1, 2011

1/1/11... why does that just tickle me pink?

I think humans are funny creatures, myself more than included. There is something about patterns that make most of us giddy. Like posting today so that I could have a post on 1-1-11... because it will be a century before that happens again (but only 11 years and some change until 2-2-22!). I find it interesting that we get so excited about little, insignificant moments like this and yet many of us are quick to overlook the more significant moments of the present--the here and now--because we don't see the novelty in it.

Like the smile Joe gave me today when I told him part of me says "FU" (literally... "F" and "U") to his assumptions that my OCD-ness is learned and not genetic, because I felt he was invalidating me. Silly, I know. But it marked huge progress for me and displayed once again how lucky I am to be married to a man who understands my needs better than I do. He was actually proud of me for speaking up. I'll see his smile again, but that moment will never be repeated... not even in a century.

Or the moment he nonchalantly said he'd clean the toilet before we go to bed tonight. That one may be repeated in another decade, but today it meant the world to me. It's been my job to clean the toilet since I was 7. Literally. That gives me more than 20 years on-the-job training and experience. Yet today, Joe saw my need and took over, even though he already has so much on his plate.

Or the moment we sat at the computer together, figuring how much paint & magnetic additive I would need to create a magno-wall in my office. Holding hands, reading descriptions, calculating square footage. Just the two us... free from everything else in the world... for just a few minutes.

I could list the hugs, the winks, the kisses, the words, and the acts that each carry their own moment of awesomeness and wonder yet lack the appeal of a 1-1-11 tag. Moments I need to record and remember. Moments that speak of love and tenderness and the thrill of becoming closer as a couple or as a family. If the truth were to be made known, Joe is my 1-1-11... or better, my 2-2-2222. He is special, unique, never to be duplicated. He makes me giddy just thinking about him and makes me want to write about his awesomeness. He is my pattern for "getting it right" or just getting it at all. He's always something to look forward to, whether I'm waking up or waiting for him to get home from work. And he's always something to remember with joy.

I thought this post would be about our Candy Land Showdown or Yahtzee World Cup from last night, but it turns out it's about that man who makes this moment and every moment more special than 1-1-11. Thank you Joe. I hope you know how much I love you and how important you are to me. And yes, babe, I even love the moment you got more excited than a kid on Christmas because I said I'd play World of Warcraft with you. Especially that moment, because I could finally do something that brought YOU joy.

Love you with all my heart.

Best wishes to all our friends and family for 2011! I hope you'll look for the "1-1-11" in each moment throughout the year.

And just in case you wanted them, here are the pics from last night! (I totally kicked his trash in Candy Land!)

The board has changed, but the tension hasn't! So much riding on little deck of cards!

Poor guy got sent back to the ginger man's square TWICE!

Joe's game winning Yahtzee!

At least I got a Full House.

He was right... I am totally addicted to Goblins!

Gotta LOVE the Mohawk!

3 comments:

Daisy said...

Deb, loved this post. Don't you love how when sometimes you sit down to write something and it ends up being something completely different. That's what I love about blogging . . . it's a way to understand ourselves, our thoughts, and feelings and it is so precious to look back on as the years go by. Happy New Year!

KatieLarson said...

Candy Land gets pretty intense at our house too. I have been thinking about the new year today as well and how much I love my Brian. Maybe its just the day or maybe its because we married the best possible yin to our yang. :) Love ya. Happy New Year!

Debbie Burns said...

Thanks, Daisy. I think that's my favorite part about writing in general... the surprises that await when you give yourself permission to just write.

And Katie! LOVE LOVE LOVE what you wrote about our guys being "the best possible yin to our yang." PERFECT! I love you!