Thursday, March 11, 2010

Missing my resources from home

It's funny how you take for granted the little things, like knowing the best grocery store or the right shop for car repairs. I have a whole list of "service providers" I took for granted while living in Utah. I knew where to go to get which item and the places to stay away from. It was easy. It made sense. Now I'm lost. I'm constantly flip flopping over Safeway or Giant (or should I be going to Wal-Mart?). I haven't found a car place yet I like and don't get me started on "trying on" doctors. I haven't even touched that one yet. Add to that the search for restaurants (italian, mexican, burgers, breakfast, etc), a great hair cutter, a store that sells in bulk (because honestly, the Costco out here sells organic, not big), movie theaters, clothing shops and any other daily need place and it seems too overwhelming sometimes. I've been able to find most of what I need through people in the ward, but it's different. It's the unknown and I am definitely out of my comfort zone.

Most recently--today, in fact--I was reminded again how much I miss the resources I had back home. I'm flying back later this month to visit and Joe will be joining me for the last few days of the trip. That leaves us with one ginormous puppy dog without any owners. In Utah I could turn to my vet. It was easy and inexpensive. I trusted them. They knew me and my Josser. They didn't care that he is "vocal" or a Pit Bull. But out here is a different story. We live where we live because it was the only place that would accept us with "that breed." And now I'm finding the same problem finding a temporary home for him. I'm crying now, having just hung up with what seemed like the perfect place for him (a million... almost... phone calls later), because once more he (and I) have been rejected because of his breed. And while I LOVE our new vet, they don't provide boarding services.

So, where do I go? How do I provide for Josser while we are gone? I haven't even begun to ask my friends yet... how can I push our 70 pound mass of muscle and craziness on them? They have pets and kids and a life. And Josser has special needs (any who know him could testify to that!). Maybe if I could leave him alone without the kennel I'd feel better. At least he'd have space to move around (like in a dog run). Then someone would only have to stop by twice a day to provide food, water and a potty break. But I can't leave without locking him up. He freaks (unfortunately my anxiety issues have rubbed off on him). He whines. He goes crazy. And I don't feel good about leaving him in a kennel for 20+ hours a day. So what is left? What do I do? I just don't know.

I do know I'm too tired to keep searching today. Maybe tomorrow will hold new answers.

3 comments:

Dustin and Kellie said...

8( I'm sorry Deb! I wish I held some amazing solution for you! All I can say is good luck!

Betsy said...

That is the worst. We don't have"that" dog but we have a hundred pounds of lab which makes for expensive and needing a lot of room. I got our boarders from a recommendation from our vet. Call around to the different vets and all of them. Yours may not know of any but surely one does. Good luck.

Darcysmad said...

That is the one thing I don't like about going on vacation...finding somethng to do with the dogs. Luckily I have a good friend who will do it and I just pay her what it would cost me to board. I don't know what I would do living in a new area...but I think the vet thing is a good idea.