Thursday, December 24, 2009

Merry Christmas and (just in case) a Happy New Year!

Pictures didn't get taken. Cards didn't get mailed. Presents (almost) didn't get purchased. But other than that, I think we're ready for Christmas! I've spent the last few days writing and taking care of very-last-minute things for the holidays.

Tonight we are headed to the Calder's for food and fun. About 2 hrs before dinner I decided it would be a great idea to make Lion House rolls (which take about 3 hrs). Thankfully Chantel is running behind too so it should all work out.

Tomorrow we're having the missionaries over for breakfast. I've put together a couple of stockings for them with treats and things. We're trying new traditions and I hope this one works out. We always had the missionaries over as kids and I loved it. Though I'm a little nervous considering I don't have any gaming devices or other things for them to do while I cook. I hope they're not too disappointed. At least the food should be good! The bacon, eggs and hashbrowns staple. For Christmas dinner we are headed to the Greenwood's. She's my awesomely pheonomanal RS pres and I love her daughter. I'm using the opportunity to make Grandma B's famous oatmeal cake as well as a hot grape drink I discovered YEARS ago. Leave it to me to try brand new things when I'm taking it to someone elses house. Joe thinks I'm crazy and maybe I am. I'll let you know after tomorrow!

Anyway, Merry Christmas everyone. Know that we love you and were thinking of you all the way over here in Maryland. We hope you have a safe and happy holiday season!

5 comments:

Susan said...

MERRY CHRISTMAS Debbie & Joe and a blessed NEW YEAR.
And Debbie: about trying brand new things (like new recipes). You must have a little genetic coding from your Grandmother Winifred Harker Smith. She was famous (or maybe it was infamous) for doing that very thing. I remember a new pie recipe she made for her reader's club. No matter how many pieces she cut, she still had a full pie. The custard-type innards just flowed round to fill up the vacancy. And it never seemed to phase her.

Darcysmad said...

I hope you guys have a wonderful Christmas! It sounds like it should at least be a busy one. I hope you guys had tons of fun celebrating your new traditions. We all miss you guys out here so much!

Debbie Burns said...

Thanks, Susan! I love hearing stories about Grandma and Grandpa. The rolls and the cake turned out beautifully, but things fell apart at the drink. I expected the grocery store to be open later and I was wrong. I showed up 15 min. too late! Oh well. Maybe next time I'll plan ahead... maybe.

Daisy said...

Hey Deb. Merry Christmas. Hope you enjoyed your festivities.

Susan said...

Debbie: In my Christmas Eve post, I should have said, "Your GREAT Grandmother Winifred Harker Smith ..." (that is, your Grandfather Travers' mother). She was a pretty adventurous soul--a liberated lady well before her time (1894-1993).