Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Over the Rainbow

I'm feeling a bit melancholy tonight. The stresses of being an adult and making tough choices has been weighing on me for a long time. It feels like an eternity. I think most of us have had those days, weeks, months and even years. I know I am not alone. I know we have all felt it in our own lives--those times when we don't understand why everything is going wrong and we don't know how to make it all okay. I guess that is the most difficult thing for me--not being able to make it okay. Whatever my choice, I disappoint someone. Whatever my decision, something is sacrificed. And the worst part is I fear my "why" isn't good enough. My brain tells me that my experience is only for a short time... that "this too shall pass." But my heart still aches, tears still fall, and in the recesses of my mind I wonder if I have done the right thing.

Amidst the self doubt and second guessing tonight, I found myself wishing that I, like Dorothy Gale, could be somewhere over the rainbow. Originally I only planned on posting the words, but I re-discovered the following clip and couldn't help but share. Innocence at its best. And so, for a moment, I invite you to dream and to hope and to believe--like you did when you were a kid--that there is a rainbow waiting for you where troubles melt and blue birds fly.

Somewhere over the rainbow way up high
There's a land that I've heard of once in a lullaby
Somewhere over the rainbow skies are blue
And the dreams that you dare to dream
Really do come true

Some day I'll wish upon a star
And wake up where the clouds are far behind me
Where troubles melt like lemon drops
Away above the chimney tops
That's where you'll find me

Somewhere over the rainbow blue birds fly
Birds fly over the rainbow
Why then, oh why can't I?
If happy little bluebirds fly beyond the rainbow
Why oh why can't I?

3 comments:

Erin said...

I love you Deb and I love this song. This little girl is darling! Thanks for sharing!

Alina said...

This is totally unrelated to this post, but what happened to your Ellie blog?

Alina said...

Never mind, it suddenly worked.