Sunday, March 1, 2009

Coming Out (of the Closet)

For quite some time Joe and I have been keeping a little secret. We've been participating in certain activities as a couple that I have wanted kept from our friends and family. I am not sure why. I think, mostly, I didn't want to worry about people judging me for my decision or telling me there is a better way. I was going to continue to keep it a secret but we are having so much fun that I just can't help but share with the rest of the world.

We are karate junkies! Yep, you read correctly, martial arts! We signed up for Shaolin Kempo right after New Year's. We have talked about doing this for years as a fun little hobby but our talks never went anywhere except to the back burner. It became a need after the two robberies at the credit union. I was so afraid all the time. Jumping out of my skin at any noise. I'm on my way to being a concealed firearms holder, but even that wasn't helping me. So we bit the bullet and signed me up at the United Studios of Self Defense. I just NEEDED some way to feel more confident. To feel safe. To feel like ME again. It only took attending my first private lesson and Joe immediately jumped on board too. And I am so glad he did. We now attend one private lesson (just the two of us and our sensei) as well as three group classes every week. And can I just tell you I am in LOVE with my sensei (not in the creepy, stalker way but in the heartfelt, grateful, you're the-best-sensei-in-the-world way). Sensei Jared is absolutely amazing. Not just referring to his knowledge and expertise (which is nothing less than incredible), but in how he handles his students. Everything is tailored to your needs. While with some of his students he works with physical fitness or stress management, for me he has focused on advanced defense techniques. And I love that I just don't learn the technique, but that he always has us practice based on several different situations so I know how to adapt based on where the attacker is, how fast he is approaching, or even if he has taken me by surprise.

Words cannot express how wonderful this has been for my self confidence and for our marriage! I remember, VERY clearly, the first day I was able to enter the workplace without feeling fear. It was crazy. I stepped to the back door and paused. Something was different. And then I realized that I wasn't in a panic to get the door unlocked, me inside, the door relocked and then closed behind me. Instead I was feeling safe that if someone did approach me in the hallway, I would be able to defend myself while screaming for help. I would be okay. I wish you could feel the difference between the sheer panic I have been feeling (all the time) and the calm certainty I feel now. I am no expert, but now I have some skill to defend. I feel so empowered!

And I have seen a difference in Joe. He is one person who I never thought would need a confidence boost. He is always so self assured. But since joining USSD, I can see a change in him. Like his excitement over increased flexibility and muscle definition. He demonstrates for me how much higher his kicks are getting. And I love that we can talk about what we are learning in class. We work on the different defense maneuvers and kempos together. It has been a great relationship builder as we help each other progress to the next level. (Not to mention the 4hrs a week we spend together participating in the same activity without any distractions)

So, there it is. I am "out" now. My name is Debbie and I practice Shaolin Kempo from USSD. lol

5 comments:

Nic said...

Good for you Debbie! So many people become victims to their fear because they are too afraid to go out of their comfort zone and make a difference in their own life! I'm sure you will be an inspiration to many! Love you!

Alina said...

Haha, I love how you're learning, having fun, and know how to kick keister all at the same time!

(I'm assuming if I ever see you, never to try and scare/surprise or else...=P)

KatieLarson said...

Good for you guys! That is awesome. I have been trying (along with Brian) to get our concealed weapons permits too. We have signed up for classes and for one reason or another they have been canceled. But that is still on our summer list of things to do. You and Joe are amazing. Love you!

Naomi said...

Seriously, you are so cute! Besides the benefit of being able to kick an attacker's butt I think being able to spend that time with your hubby and enjoy it together sounds like the best part to me. I love that Joe checks out his muscle definition. I can just see him now posing for you and thinking "yup, I'm the man!".

Chad and Kayla said...

That's awesome! It would be awesome to be able to defend myself if need be, I should do that too :) That's awesome to be able to spend so much time with your hubby!