Thursday, September 3, 2009

Screw You Fear (any WoW peeps will get that...)

So today I decided to wage a little battle against FEAR. Let's say it's part of my own personal "12-Step" program. I am really working toward building a stronger self-concept and through the journey of self discovery I realized (not to the surprise of any one else) that I am a perfectionist. I am so strongly a perfectionist that I am afraid of trying or doing anything new for fear I'll get it wrong or that the result will be less than perfect. For any normal human being out there that wouldn't be a big deal. Try/fail. It's the process of life. For me it is the end of the world. Except today. I'm still on a pretty good high from hypnotherapy and so I thought it would be a great time to say "screw you fear!" and so I tackled a couple of crafty projects that I've seen other's do but which I have always been afraid to try.

Project 1: Paint the Lamps

I have HATED these brass lamps since we got them for our wedding. Sorry to any out there who love brass, but I think the are so ugly they are FUGLY! But they were FREE.99 so I've kept them for the last 8 years. I always thought I would paint them (or buy new ones) but I never made time for either option. The former because I was afraid to fail and the latter because I have better ways to spend my money. Today I dove right in, took the lamp by the shades, and transformed them into something presentable. To tell the truth... I kinda like my new little chess pieces!

I figure I'll buy some more modern lamp shades after we move. Until then, I like the result... imperfections and all! Best part was that I realized that any huge mistake could be fixed. Not enough paint? Spray on another coat. Don't like black with ivory? Spray the ivory black too! Don't like the gloss finish? Use matte next time. So simple. Why have I never done this before?

Project 2: Paint the Board

This was a gift to me from Joe's mom years ago. All the hard work had been done. All I had to do was paint the darn thing and hang it anywhere I wanted. Oh, and buy some magnets for it. But, worried I wouldn't get it "just right," I've put it off for years. I almost gave it away, too. And I am SO glad I didn't. With some quick taping and spray paint, I went from au-natural to beautiful black!

And then, on a roll from these quick wins, I decided to spruce up the board a little bit more. I had some Stampin Up rub-ons that were perfect. Snip, rub and few moments for placement and voila!



I'm still looking for a word or phrase to run across the top. Any suggestions? I haven't decided whether this will be a board for photos, lists, or misc. But I definitely want to hang it somewhere visible!!!

I am SO excited everything turned out and that I was able to git-r-done all by myself (with LOTS of inspiration from my dear do-it-yourself friends). I've even gonna try my hand at making my own magnets to match the board. Thanks for inspiring me, ladies! I had SO much fun today!

6 comments:

Michael and Brenda Smith said...

I love your projects...and your magnet board is adorable with those rub-ons. I will have to do that sometime...when I have a house with more room to hang one.

Betsy said...

I have a suggestion for the board, "I ROCK." Cause you do that looks so good, professional shall I say. I have never been one to be crafty but this pregnancy is pushing me over the edge in craftiness. I have started scrap booking (oh yes it is very terrible.) I made these hershey kiss things my mom used to make and fleece blanket with painstaking hand sewing the sides with yarn. I wish I was more of a perfectionist maybe my project would look better or get finished faster. Anyway rant. . . Your projects turned out perfectly great job.

KatieLarson said...

I love them! Both of them. You are awesome. I love that magnet board. I think it looks awesome with the rub ons. I would have never thought to do something like that...I am just a basic girl and would have been nervous to do that....but it is absolutely fabulous! I love it!

Amy said...

Way to go Debbs!!!! The lamps look amazing... and I LOVE the magnet board! So adorable... Look who the crafty one is now!??

Dustin and Kellie said...

They are AMAZING! Wow! You should make some and sell them (let me know, cause I totally want one). I know that it may be common, but I like "Simplify" for your board (especially if your gonna put reminders and things that keep you stressed or going, going, going). But I think that you should think of something you need, (like for me maybe it'd be) "peace" or "patience" or "trust" and then you'll see it everyday and (they say) it'll help that virtue become part of you- help you become more patient, trusting, or peaceful. Just an idea. I love the black, and the beautiful tranformations!

Debbie Burns said...

I LOVE the "simplify" idea! Thanks, Kellie. It'll be a good reminder to keep it simple. I always seem to overcomplicate every issue.