Thursday, February 14, 2008

Sorry, Joe, that it took me so long

As I was driving home in rush hour traffic today, my thoughts turned, of course, to Valentine's Day. Joe & I have a pact that he is NOT to buy my flowers on this day because I hate being mainstream. I hate the idea that the only reason he is buying me flowers is because the commericial world tells him he is supposed to. I like things a bit more spontaneous. This took me back 7 years to the day when Joe proposed. Yep, it was Valentine's Day 7 years ago. He took me to the Roof Restaurant in the JSMB (Salt Lake) and, after a ver nice dinner, he asked me to marry him while we overlooked the Salt Lake Temple. He even had his friend, Bart, tape record the whole event. I can still hear the little old lady, "Look! I think he's asking her to marry him!"

Just before we left that evening my mom was all giddy because she thought he might propose to me. My response was negative. I hoped beyond hope that he wouldn't propose. I thought it, well, totally mainstream. Let him propose anywhere but on top of the JSMB, overlooking the temple, on Valentine's Day!

As I sat in my car today, however, I realized something I had never thought about before. It never dawned on me that you can't just call up the Roof Valentine's Day afternoon and get reservations for a party of 8. That takes a lot of advanced notice.

It was then, sitting in the parking lot called I-215, that I knew Joe had actually put thought into and planned our engagment. He was trying to make it a VERY special occasion for us both. I was so tickled that he cared so much about it, that I called him on his cell phone just to say, "I love you."

Sorry, Joe, that it took me so long to figure this out. I really do love you! And appreciate everything you do to make me feel special (even if you don't buy me flowers... ever... lol).

2 comments:

Erin said...

lol that is great! It only took 7 years? I love you Debbie. I wouln't have caught on to that either and it probably would have taken me 10 years to realize that:)

Anonymous said...

We never give our guys enough credit huh? I've learned not to expect so much from them, then I am always pleased... so glad youre blogging!