Thursday, November 20, 2008

A Letter to My Josser

Happy birthday, dear Josser. You turn 1 tomorrow. I am writing this letter tonight because I know I won't have a chance tomorrow. I also realize you are a dog, but at this point, you are also my only child. And while you can't take the place of real children, you do help fill that void in my heart. You have been quite the puppy for us! I always swore I would never have a pet, let alone a big inside dog. I always thought those people were crazy. But then you walked into my credit union and I couldn't resist your grey eyes and the way you cocked your head to the side when you looked at me. You were adorable! I loved your lazy sit and the too-big paws. I should have known you would grow into them!!! 68lbs now and you are still quite the dog. We have had our ups and downs with you. Today I could have sold you to gypsies with all your barking and crazy running around. But really I couldn't... because I love you. And I love those little moments in the morning when you cuddle with me in bed, or at night how you curl up with me to watch a final movie, sending us both off to sleep. I love that you know when I'm sick or when I feel bad. You just stay by my side--unmoving--lending me heat, or comfort, or whatever else I need. I love the way you wait for "daddy" to come home from work and how excited you get when he does. I love how you run after ice cubes and hide under the bed. You are so precious and loving, even if you are as big as a horse (well not quite yet). I am sorry more people don't love you like we do. That they judge you because they are biased against your breed. We are so grateful for the friends and family who have accepted you. For the mommies who aren't afraid to let you lick their toddlers. It means a lot to your Dad and I... and, if you understood, I think it would mean a lot to you too. Thanks, sweet puppy, for having the courage to be you... and for loving us just the way we are. We hope to be better doggy-parents. We'll try. We love and wish you the very best on this very special day. Happy birthday, my Josser. We love you.

7 comments:

KatieLarson said...

Happy Birthday Josser! I hope you get all the treats the day can offer. Debbie...I just promised Josser some treats...can you get him some. :) Maybe one day we will stop by and play with Josser. Aidan loves puppies, I don't but he sure does. Love you guys.

Alina said...

Haha, awesome! I am 16 years and 1week older than your dog :D Happy B-day Josser even though you have no idea who I am!

Nic said...

What beautiful words! You are so cute!

Love,

Nicole

Erin said...

How sweet! He is a sweet dog and he has so much love to give! Happy belated Birthday Josser! I didn't know it was your Birthday or we could have had a party!

KatieLarson said...

So I didn't really notice your other blog until tonight (I was blog-stalking). I am very mad at myself! I left you a comment over yonder. And too make sure that I am better about following promptings and such I have decided to follow this blog (like before) and your other one. If you don't want me too let me know. I hope you are okay. Call me if you need anything.

Team Reid said...

Hi! I haven't seen you forever and you might not remember me! Anyway, this is Kimberly (Waters) Reid. I found your blog through (I think it was) Kellie Bennett's and thought I'd say hi! I hope things are going well for you! If you'd like to check out my blog it's:

http://team-reid.blogspot.com/

Have a good day! Kimberly

Debbie Burns said...

Katie... thank you so much for the love and support. Just knowing you are thinking about me helps! But I promise to call if I need anything.