Thursday, February 16, 2012

Adventures in Adulthood

I know it seems silly, but this feels like my very first grown up trip. Not to say I haven't been on trips with other adults before or that those trips were somehow juvenile (though with me, isn't everything?). I just feel so big because this feels like the first time I've vacationed somewhere without a) a companion traveling with me or b) someone I know waiting for me on the other end.


Today I left MD on an airplane (que John Denver) and traveled to far away southern VA all by myself. There was no welcome wagon waiting. No sweet sibling waiting to pick me up. It was just me and the rain and the trust that a non-serial-killer shuttle driver would pick me up at the airport and take me to the hotel. I worried over the little things like should I call or will they have ESP to know I need a ride. (I called). Then I debated over whether or not I stood in the right spot, on the correct side of the road and if I'd recognize the shuttle when it came. Would it say the hotel name or would I have to guess? What if some maniac showed up in a white van with no windows claiming to be my shuttle driver? Would I get in or call to confirm that he was indeed my ride? I decided I would call as I mentally made a checklist of all the items in my purse that I could use as a weapon. Yep, there's a reason Joe usually likes to send me with or to someone we know, lol.

It all worked out. The van (yes, it was still a van) was marked, the driver was female, and I was able to get in without getting any appendages stuck in the door. I even made some pretty decent small talk on weather patterns and places she and I have lived! (Thanks for the lessons E!).

And now I'm typing away on my laptop (did I forget to mention that the bestest hubby on the planet bought me a DARK CHOCOLATE laptop that I love? Because he did). ANYWAY, I'm clicking away on the keys still a little proud of myself for making my way around a new place and checking myself into a hotel. And though Front Desk Guy asked to see my ID, he didn't once question my sanity or the soundness of me staying in a hotel by myself! I'm sure I had "awkward-has-never-done-this-before" written all over my face. (I don't think he noticed it until later when I had to call him from my cell phone because I couldn't get the room phones to work... but that's another story).

What About Bob?
So yeah, I'm feeling pretty good. Happy. Maybe it's not so much that I was finally able to accomplish such a small feat at the age of 30-something, maybe it's because I was able to make the baby steps out the door, down the terminal, to the plane, to the shuttle and to the hotel despite the anxiety I've been learning to manage for more than 2 years. So happy adult day to me!!!

*throws confetti*

Phew, now that the celebrating is over, can I just say how GLAD I am that Tina & Hannah will be arriving in a couple of hours? This adult stuff is awesome, but I think I've done enough for one day. I'm grateful to be spending the rest of the weekend with my awesome gal pals!!! (And I know Joe will rest easier. His last text to me: At least Tina is driving!)

Good night all. Today VA... tomorrow the world!!!! Muhahahaha! I mean... NC... tomorrow is NC. :-)

5 comments:

Marla B said...

you won't see the kids' valentines till you get back.....bummer.
good job. here is a pat on the back. such a big accomplishment. enjoy your time in NC.
how come you didn't drive! LOL

Jonathan said...

Hey Chica, glad to hear all is well with your trip. Super proud of You! Anxiety is an all too well known friend of our family. Glad to hear u gave him a good beat down!!

Have a super fun time!!
Love You,

Jonathan

ESN said...

I am so proud of you sweetie! I didn't realize you were traveling alone at first. Whahoo. Way to go killer!! And small talk too! You are awesome. Have a TON of fun! (And I will attempt to keep the jealousy to a minumum.)

Joe said...

Now you'll have to ask her what happened the next day ...

Debbie Burns said...

Thanks all!